In the Data Driven Digital Era, Segmentation and Targeting in digital are important. It’s also an important pillar for planning out the marketing strategy. Targeting strategies are the first foremost activities to be done in digital marketing strategies. To make things practical, am going to use one of the product we have built as an example, Tradly.
Tradly is a Non-profit social marketplace which allow people to Trade and Donate.
When we develop this product
- Our first job is to identify for whom we are building the product (persona Analysis),
- The different type of segments when our persona is more than one (segmentation) and
- Finally use this insight to setup targeting whether we planning contents to write, targeting option in Facebook ads, targeting option in Google Search ads, or looking for a partnership to work with, etc.
There are already a lot of articles which go deep in preparing a persona analysis. However, the main fundamentals point to consider are
- Their demographics (age and gender)
- Geographics (location, might be by city)
- What sort of Brands they are interested mostly
- Their job role or educational level
- Maybe relationship status
- The list of problems they face
- Or the list of opportunities they are looking for
We will see how each of the above points could help you in the targeting strategy. Once you have this basic information you could able to plan things in a proper way that can improve your efforts and reduce waste of time and money.
Am going to also share a few strategize that could shape your mindset on planning marketing strategies.
Push-Based vs Pull-Based Marketing & channels
From the image itself, you could find some contradictory information. I have shared those images and…